About Me

My photo
Some facts about us: Together since May 2004, Matt & Kristin Married in May 2009. Between the two of us, we've lived in California, Hawaii, Guam, Japan and met here, in good ol' Virginia. We adopted two mini schnauzers, Hemingway & Mya aka The Pups. We bought our first home in May of 2011 and are ridiculously excited for all the DIY projects ahead of us.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Traveling Treasures Mason Jars

If you're like us and you not only love to travel, but you love to pick up nick-nacks from your destinations, then you probably have a few pieces scattered around your house.  We always get an ornament for our Christmas tree, but we also pick up random things that catch our eye while on vacation.

In an effort to organize and use some Mason Jars that I just bought a case of, I made these "Traveling Treasures Mason Jars".  I think I've seen something similar to this in an old Better Homes and Gardens magazine.

You can find Mason Jars at any craft store.  I bought a case of 12, surprisingly, at Big Lots for under 8 bucks. 

What I needed:  My traveling treasures, Krylon Fusion paint in Satin White and a mason jar.  Start by removing the caps.



 The Krylon spray paint is awesome.  You don't have to prep, sand or prime prior to using.  I did a second coat after the first dried.

Then I got all our goodies from our trip to Jamaica, where Matt proposed, together. 


You can laugh at the Bob Marley rolling paper - of course we had to buy that! Our bellhop even tried to sell us some illegal substances and I'm not just talking marijuana.  Most people believe that Mary-Jane is legal in Jamaica, but in fact it is NOT. And you can get arrested there just like you'd get arrested here. Except its far more scary.

We also have a Jamaican $50 bill and some change.   It's probably about $1.65 in US money 'cause, ya know, we roll in the Jamaican dough.  You'll also find our plane tickets and the flag from Ricks cafe, one of the top 10 bars in the world. The locals cliff dive right there at the bar, right next to the sign warning you to jump at your own risk and "spinal injury may occur". Yeah... that's happening.


 I also did one from our trip to Hawaii.  I have more to do, but this was a good start.



I'm offically in love with mason jars.  They have so many different uses and are so inexpensive.  I hope I don't turn into the weird "mason jar lady" with random jars scattered through the house and even making it outside.  Pray for me.

PS if you say "Beer Can" with an English accent, it sounds like "Bacon" in Jamaiican.  Random and awesome.

3 comments:

  1. Looooove the mason jar idea!!! So unique and creative. What a great way to display your goodies from different places you travel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh. Awesome idea! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Cadi & Marissa! I've cleared out a couple of shoe boxes and now WE can enjoy our nick nacks instead of the dust mites under the bed.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is for positive people with positive things to say! If you don't fit that category, please see my imaginary blog door and keep walking.